Scoochie Smith Led The Way With 25 Points
Flyers Will Face Wichita State On Friday In Indianapolis
Four Flyers Scored In Double Figures
By Horace Dozier Sr.
University of Dayton Flyers will be truly tested at tonight’s game with the VCU Rams, for the battle of undisputed first place and the winner of the A-10 regular season championship.
Dayton leads the Atlantic 10 with a 14-2 record. The Flyers, who are also 23-5 overall, lead VCU by one game with two games to play. The playoff game will be Wednesday at 8 p.m.
The A-10 Men’s Basketball Championship is in Pittsburgh March 8-12. Update and photos after the game, Go Flyers!
Update: 3/2/2017-The University of Dayton men’s basketball team won its first outright Atlantic 10 Conference regular season championship Wednesday night after defeating the VCU Rams 79-72 in front of a sold-out crowd at UD Arena. The game atmosphere was electric as a sold-out crowd let their voices be heard, everyone was anxiously awaiting the next shot. This game had to be one of the most physically played games of the season and with it being Senior night, the team again came together for another great win. (Game & Celebratory Photos Courtesy of Timesmedia)
By Horace Dozier Sr.
University of Dayton Flyers after coming of a hard-fought battle against St. Bonaventure Bonnies will face George Mason Tuesday night at 7:00pm
before going on the road against the Davidson Wildcats on Friday, Feb. 24 at 9 p.m. Dayton is 21-5 overall and 12-2 in the Atlantic 10 Conference and
George Mason is 18-9 overall and 8-6 in the Atlantic 10. Update and photos after the game, Go Flyers!
Update-10:00PM, University of Dayton Flyers remains atop the A-10 Conference with a 20-0 second-half run to beat the George Mason Patriots 71-60
in front of a sellout crowd of 13,071 at UD Arena.Dayton jumped out to an early lead in the first half but George Mason continued to fight back even taking
the lead by one. This would be the only time George Mason would lead in the game. Dayton roared back with nine fast break points to take the lead in the first half.
The offensive display continued in the second half to the delight of the 13,071 screaming fan’s.
The Flyers improved their record to 22-5 and 13-2 in Atlantic 10 Conference play. UD takes over the top spot in the A-10 with the win.
By Horace Dozier Sr.
University of Dayton Flyers host the St. Bonaventure Bonnies on Saturday at 2 p.m. ET. The game will be televised on NBCSN and is available with live streaming 1 W 2nd St. Dayton, OH
The Dayton Flyers are enjoying a five game winning streak on its way to the A-10 Tile game. Dayton is tied for first place with the VCU Rams and will be hosting the Rams at UD Arena March 1st at 8:00PM.
Dayton’s record going into today’s game is 20-5 overall, and 11-2 in the Atlantic 10 conference. The St. Bonaventure Bonnies enter the contest 16-9 overall and 8-5 in A-10 play and will test Dayton to keep
it’s 1st place position in the A-10. Photos and game stats to follow, enjoy the game, Go Flyers!
Update-The University of Dayton Flyers came from behind to beat the St. Bonaventure Bonnies 76-72 Saturday in front of a sellout crowd of 13,455 at UD Arena. Dayton getting off to a slow start hurt
Dayton while helping the Bonnies to a 15-point lead in the first half. Dayton rallied in the second behind tenacious defense and excellent file shooting to stay tied atop the Atlantic 10 Conference.
The Flyers improved to 21-5 and 12-2 in Atlantic 10 Conference play. UD currently is tied with VCU for the top spot in the A-10.
Flyers All Alone In First Place In Atlantic 10
Photo By Horace Dozier Sr. TM
DAYTON — After trailing at halftime, the University of Dayton men’s basketball team defeated Vanderbilt by a final score of 68-63 Wednesday night at UD Arena.
Charles Cooke led Dayton in points with 19 while Ryan Mikesell recorded the first double-double of his career with 12 points and 11 rebounds. Kendall Pollard added 13 points for UD.
Vandy guard Matthew Fisher-Davis led all scorers with 25 points.
Dayton improves to 8-3 on the season, and has won six of the last seven. Vanderbilt evens its record at 6-6.
DAYTON PULLS AWAY FOR 83-67 WIN OVER WINTHROP
Pollard Returns With 12 Points & 5 Rebounds In 18 Minutes
DAYTON- Senior Charles Cook led the team with 20 points shooting as the University Dayton Flyers used high-powered offense to defeat the Winthrop Eagles, 83-67, in the Flyers’ first game back in UD Arena after traveling to California to compete in the Wooden Legacy tournament.
Scoochie Smith added 15 points and led the team in rebounds with seven. Kendall Pollard scored 12 points in his first game of the season after coming back from injury. Kyle Davis added 11 points. The Flyers have now won three straight and improve to 5-2 on the season.
· The game started slow and sloppy on both sides as only two points were scored and each side committed three turnovers through two and a half minutes of play.
· Midway through the first half, Kendall Pollard entered the game for the first time all year to a standing ovation.
· There were four lead changes and three ties as the first half.
· Dayton took the lead for good (25-24) with 3:26 left in the first half, and only a banked-in three-pointer stopped a Dayton 10-0 run to the buzzer, making the halftime score 33-27.
· Winthrop pulled to within three points early in the second half, but could get no closer.
· Four straight points by Sam Miller capped a Flyer went 10-0 run to give Dayton a 67-52 lead with 6:30 left in the game. The margin was double digits the rest of the way.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
· After making seven of 10 shots from the field in today’s contest, Scoochie Smith is now shooting 54.2% (39-72) on the season.
· Smith led the Flyers in rebounds today with seven, his season high.
· Kyle Davis recorded his season high in assists today with five.
· In addition to his 12 points, Kendall Pollard grabbed five rebounds and drew six free throws. After playing five minutes in the first half, all 12 of his points came over 13 minutes in the second half
· Charles Cooke and Smith both have scored in double figures every game this season.
· The Flyers rebounding margin of +18 is the largest rebounding margin of the season.
· Dayton committed 10 turnovers in the first half and split that number in half with only five turnovers in the second half.
· Winthrop’s 5-foot-7 guard Keon Johnson led all scorers with 24 points